Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Because Money Does Not Grow on Trees....




And we all wish it did: I'm going to share with you what I use to save and track my money.

Over the years I have used a lot of different products and even created my own systems. I have often needed some rather complex solutions that could cope with multiple currencies and exchange rates. At times my spread sheets were pretty hard to read. And then, I fell in love with two solutions that have helped me...no matter where in the world I may be.

For saving I use a program called SmartyPig. It's simple, which is important when I'm using unreliable internet connections overseas. It's also automatic, which is great. It takes some of the 'labor' out of transferring money from my checking accounts to savings. I find this feature invaluable. It helps me to keep on track and reduces my use of sticky notes. What I really like about SmartyPig is the 3.25% AYP. This is the highest AYP I've been able to find for savings programs that are not directly linked to investing. Unlike Money Markets or CDs, I'm not investing in the Stock Market or tied to a contract. If at any point and time I really need the money I've been socking away, I can end the goal and have the money transferred right back to my checking account...and take with me the interest I may have earned thus far. Or I can opt to have the money loaded onto a debt card and mailed to me. Another unique feature is SmartyPig's partnership with many brand name retailers. If you choose to spend your saved money with them with gives you certain perks and in some cases, extra money. And extra money is always a good thing!

For traking my expenses I use Mint.com A lovely little tool that takes takes a lot of time out of tracking expenses. Unlike some similar programs, Mint is totally free. You log in your bank details and it will automatically track, graph and report to you how much you spend and where you spend it. You can set up budgets, track investments...the tools keep growing. The only detractor is that you can't enter expenses paid for with cash. Which, for me is fine for the most part. I normally use my debit card or checks anyway. I carry small amounts of cash, but I keep track of where those go in my check register.
Anyway if you're looking for away to avoid keeping track of every single reciept - Mint is a great tool. I've really loved the budget feature and the emails Mint sends out if I go over my set limit for a particular catagory (books are my downfall!). I also really like the carts that show a breakdown of where my money goes. I can compare my expenses month to month and also to the national average.

So there you go! Andrea's finances in two paragraphs. Having lived by faith for many years, I still find those principles of trusting God to provide for and meet my needs relevant...even now that I get a regular paycheck. He's just as capable as providing for me now as in years previous when I was on the mission field. But the theology of all that is for another post.

Now if only there was a way to effortlessly generate more income...wouldn't that be great! :-)

No comments: